News & Events
- Have been up at Devoto four times in the last week or so, watching the 828 block come along. The weather’s been holding, the canopy and vines look to be in great shape. On 9/15 the block was between 20 and 21 brix, maybe a point higher the following week, and just today I put it at 23.2. Was tempted to pick this Friday with particularly warm temps coming tomorrow and Thursday. As one passes grape trucks coming and going throughout Sonoma, one gets anxious! But the acids in the lab came out a little high (9.6 TA, 2.9 pH), and ...
- The Pinot at Flanagan Vineyards touched 23 brix last week and my ton from the Pommard block was picked this last Monday morning (I have less influence over this pick date as I’m only taking a ton). Morning was cool and foggy almost to Santa Rosa; here’s a shot going over the bridge in the morning. Here’s Jeff loading one of my half-ton picking bins into the back of my Penske rental Fruit was certainly ripe; super small berries, too small for our crusher. Very little rot or MOG. Really liked the flavors and seeds; stems not so much this year. Did ...
- Yesterday I visited all three vineyards from which I’m taking fruit this year: Devoto Gardens (Pinot Noir; Green Valley), Flanagan Vineyards (Pinot Noir; Starr Road, Russian River), and Inspiration Vineyards (Chardonnay; Olivet Road, Russian River). This is a pic of Flanagan, looking south-east over the rows of Pommard clones of which I’ll be taking a ton. This is our first harvest with Flanagan Vineyards, which is only a rifle shot down Starr Road from Amber Ridge. We’re looking forward to building a long-term relationship. The fruit is coming along nice and even (no easy trick given the wet spring) and has that ...
- How to get a 4’x4’x4′ half-ton (when full of grapes!) picking bin onto the roof of your van? Very carefully! Had to move these two bins from a vineyard near Occidental to Flanagan vineyards on Starr Road. Yes, I did arrive safely! Though it turns out that not every driver was pleased to be behind an old Vanagon going the speed limit…
- I was the glass dumper on the bottling line on Monday. We bottled 115 cases of our Devoto Garden Pinot Noir, plus 10 cases of magnums. These guys are now off sleeping over at Vintner’s Express in South San Francisco until the new year (at least!) Here’s a shot of yours truly mixing it up at SF Chefs earlier this month. Thanks to all of those who stopped by. The 09s, which I decanted for 20 minutes or so, were showing very nicely and got a lot of heartfelt compliments for which I’m grateful! Don’t forget to join the wine club! 🙂 PS ...
- ▼ 2017 (1)
- ► 2016 (9)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ▼ 2014 (24)
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (22)
- ► 2009 (19)