News & Events
- Our 2010 Devoto Garden has been on by the glass at Millenium since mid January. This may be the last place (outside of our Wine Club) in SF where you can still get this vintage — only a few cases remain.
- Shot from the top of the barrels; they do sway just a bit when a 160lb man (okay, 165-170 really) is up there topping them up… Went through all 15 barrels looking for any off aromas, tastes, chemistry. Liked the new barrels (Damy, Francois Freres). The one-year olds were sublime, always a favorite. I have a particular tight grained 2010 Taransaud barrel which by my lights continues to contribute a subtle weight and spice. Color looks nice, no? Some folks add enzymes and other products to their musts to enhance color — we do not. This year we did not add yeast: ...
- Pruning is about 80% complete at Devoto Garden, I was up last week to help in the 828 block. The vines are “cordon/renewal spur” pruned; each vine is 4 feet apart, each cordon/arm is 24″; the goal is to leave each arm with six “nodes” about 4″ apart, each node trimmed back to two buds on one of last year’s canes, which will become two fruiting canes this year. Simple, right? You’d be surprised… Pruned vines on right; those awaiting haircut on left. Wood left in rows to be mulched by tractor with flail. My over-matched, minimalist Japanese shears; need to get ...
- Here’s a nice mention from Pierre Dumond, wine critic for the Piedmont Press, in his Wine Corner column. We met at the Family Winemakers tasting this fall. (To our mother’s amusement, he has mistakenly credited my brother Dave for the winemaking — Dave actually did the woodcut on the label :).
- Thank you all for coming to our holiday party! We had a lovely time — hope you did too!
- ▼ 2017 (3)
- ► 2016 (9)
- ► 2015 (14)
- ▼ 2014 (24)
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (22)
- ► 2009 (19)